8 p.m. on Nov. 29 - 30, 2014.
Orleans Showroom, Orleans
Must be 5 years of age or older
- Music: Motown, R&B, soul.
- Current members: Otis Williams, Ron Tyson, Terry Weeks, Joe Herndon and Bruce Williamson.
- Best known songs: "My Girl," "Get Ready," "Beauty Is Only Skin Deep," "I Wish It Would Rain, " "I Can't Get Next to You," "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone" and "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)."
- Albums include: "The Temptin' Temptations," "The Temptations in a Mellow Mood," "Psychedelic Shack," "Sky's the Limit," "Solid Rock," "All Directions," "Masterpiece," "A Song for You," "Wings of Love," "Truly for You" and many more.
- Awards: Released 14 Billboard R&B No. 1 singles, earned three Grammy Awards and were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1989. Three of The Temptations' songs -- "My Girl," "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" and "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone" -- are among the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll.
- Of note: The Temptations' songs have been covered by countless artists including "Since I Lost My Baby" by Luther Vandross, "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" by Bette Midler, "I'm Losing You" by Rod Stewart and "Ball of Confusion (That's What the World Is Today)" by Duran Duran, Anthrax and Love and Rockets. The Rolling Stones also covered several of their songs.
- Audience: Fans of R&B, soul and Motown music.
- Venue: Orleans Showroom.
An iconic R&B and soul vocal group, The Temptations have been on the music scene for more than 50 years. The Primes and The Distants were early incarnations of the band, before various members came together in Detroit with an offer from Berry Gordy of Motown Records. Beginning their musical life in the early '60s, it was "The Way You Do the Things You Do," a Smokey Robinson written-and-produced song, that turned The Temptations into stars in 1964. An avalanche of hits followed. Through the years, members have changed but always stayed true to the band's smooth-sounding and smooth-stepping tradition. The classic lineup of The Temptations was Otis Williams, Melvin Franklin, Paul Williams, Eddie Kendricks and David Ruffin. Today, Williams is the only surviving original member, but the band still prospers and can be seen regularly on tour in places like Las Vegas. In 2010, the group released their 49th album, "The Temptations: Still Here."