Las Vegas History: 10 Records Vegas Holds
When Las Vegas celebrated its 100th birthday, the city unveiled the world's largest birthday cake -- a 130,000-pound-plus confection that made the Guinness World Records. However, Vegas lays claim to several other great feats. Here are 10 records Vegas holds.
31. Largest bronze statue of an animal in the United States: The 45-foot-tall lion that stands outside the MGM Grand weighs a hefty 90,000 pounds. It was cast in 1,600 individual pieces of half-inch-thick bronze plate, welded together and supported by an internal steel structure. But don't worry, it doesn't bite.
32. Largest watch store: Tourneau Time Dome in the Forum Shops at Caesars recently was expanded from 1,100 to 17,500 square feet. More than 8,000 timepieces from more than 100 watch brands are showcased inside the store.
33. Largest glass sculpture: The Fiori di Como is housed in the Bellagio . The colorful ceiling sculpture, which can be seen in the lobby, measures 65 feet 7 inches by 29 feet 6 inches and was created by Dale Chihuly of Seattle. It took some 40,000 pounds (about 2,000 pieces) of hand-blown glass. Fiori di Como means "Flowers of Como" (Bellagio was inspired by the hotel on Lake Como in Italy).
34. Most fountains in a hotel: There are more than 1,000 fountains on the man-made lake at the Bellagio . The fountains, designed by WET Design, shoot water 243 feet in the air, and the display is accompanied by a sound and light display. There is no charge to see this aquatic spectacular.
35. Largest single gold nugget: The Golden Nugget displays the world's largest single gold nugget, the "Hand of Faith" which weighs 61 pounds, 11 ounces. First uncovered in Wedderburn, Victoria, Australia, the "Hand of Faith" now has a permanent home in Las Vegas. On display next to the massive gold nugget is another nugget that weighs 13 pounds.
36. Longest game of Telephone: On Jan. 6, 2004, Harrah's magician/comedian Mac King broke the world record for the longest game of Telephone with 614 participants. Telephone is a game where the first person in line whispers a phrase to the second person who whispers it to the third person and so on. The phrase usually has completely changed by the end of the line. King started the game by whispering, "Mac King is a comedy magic genius" and also predicted the final whisper, which was placed into a locked briefcase before the game. When the game ended, the prediction was revealed: "Macaroni cantaloupe knows the future." King was off by only one word.
37. Tallest chocolate fountain:Jean-Philippe Pâtisserie at the Bellagio boasts a first-of-its-kind, 14-foot-tall freestanding fountain (although, in total, it measures 27 feet tall with its mechanics) of melted chocolate. The glass-enclosed, floor-to-ceiling chocolate fountain emerging from the pâtisserie displays a series of melted chocolate cascades. The fountain was designed by Executive Pastry Chef Jean-Philippe Maury and Norwood and Antonia Oliver Design Associates Inc. and circulates nearly 2 tons of melted dark, milk and white chocolate at a rate of 120 quarts per minute. Willy Wonka would be proud.
38. Tallest freestanding observation deck: At 1,149 feet, the Stratosphere Tower is the tallest freestanding observation tower in the United States and the tallest building west of the Mississippi River. It also boasts the highest thrill rides in the world. You can even take your love to new heights by tying the knot in the Chapel in the Clouds .
39. Most powerful light beam in the world (and one of three man-made objects visible from space): The Luxor 's beam comprises dozens of lamps called Xenon lamps, which cost $1,200 each and will last up to 2,000 hours. Each lamp is 7,000 watts. Total, they are 315,000 watts. The Luxor says the beam represents Egyptians' belief that their souls would travel to heaven in a beam of light.
40. Largest slot machine win: What would a Vegas records list be without some mega winnings? On March 21, 2003, a 25-year-old software engineer from Los Angeles won $39,713,982.25 after putting in $100 in the Megabucks slot machine at the Excalibur Hotel .
Numbers That Have Helped Create Vegas (41 - 50)