Las Vegas History: In the Beginning
It's a safe bet - and those are rare around these parts - that the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad Co. had no idea what it was setting in motion when it auctioned off the first parcels of land that became the town site of Las Vegas in 1905.
Those few acres of dusty land in the middle of the Mojave Desert have become the most exciting city on the planet: a major metropolis of nearly 2 million people, to which around 40 million people a year visit.
This is Vegas, baby, so here at VEGAS.com we decided that no regular timeline would suffice to mark our namesake's wild, wacky and sometimes weird history. Instead, we sought out the unique, the unsung and the truly bizarre moments.
What we have here are 100 wild facts, events and trivia and broken them down into 10 easy-to-digest lists of 10 items. Click on and be dazzled, astonished, amazed and entertained. After all, that's what Las Vegas is all about.
- 10 Vegas Urban Legends (1-10)
- 10 Shocking Celebrity Moments in Vegas (11-20)
- 10 Things You Can Do at 2 a.m. Only in Vegas (21-30)
- 10 World Records Vegas Holds (31-40)
- 10 Numbers (and a few more) that have helped create Vegas (41-50)
- 10 Crazy Celebrity Marriages in Vegas (51-60)
- 10 Outrageous Outfits in Vegas History (61-70)
- 10 Historic Buildings Las Vegas Hasn't Imploded (71 -80)
- 10 Infamous Crime-Related Moments in Vegas History (81-90)
- 10 Films You Never Would Guess Were Shot in Vegas (91-100)
Want even more Sin City history? Check out the Las Vegas Sun's in-depth look at the history of Las Vegas with videos, interviews and more.